Proprietary Private Security Employer (PSE) Information

As of January 1, 2011 any person, partnership, corporation or limited liability company who employs one or more employees to provide security services for that employer and only for that employer is required by the State of California to register as a Proprietary Private Security Employer (PSE). You could be a single or multiple venue operator, own a hotel or motel, or operate a health care or nursing care facility and need to register as a PSE, if you directly pay your security employees.

PSE Exceptions

A limited number of employers with security employees don’t have to register as PSEs. These exempt employers are described in the CA Business and Professions Code 7574.14. These exemptions include most charitable organizations, attorneys, collection agencies, insurance brokers, banks, savings associations, motion picture studios and armored contract carriers. If you think you may be exempt from registering as a PSE, please verify this exemption with your lawyer or the BSIS.

PSE Registration Process

To apply for a proprietary private security employer registration, the applicant must submit the application for registration along with a $75 application fee to the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002. You must renew your registration every 2 years.  Get an application from the BSIS Website.

Proprietary Private Security Employer BSIS Application


Go to the Proprietary Security Services Act (Business &Professions Code § 7574) and CCR § 645 for more information.

PSE Registration Updates and Renewals

You must update your registration record if you change your or your business information, such as name, phone, email and/or address.

You must renew your private Security Employer registration every 2 years from the date of its issuance. The PSE renewal fee is $35. You must renewal prior to your PSE registration expiration date.

What should I Read Next?